About Me

My photo
Foley, AL, United States
A few snippets to what makes me me... I am a senior at the University of South Alabama. I married the man of my dreams on May 14, 2011. I plan on being a teacher and a learner in all aspects of the world.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How it all began

     Well, it all started with a subscription to my local newspaper, The Press Register. I knew there were coupons out there, but I had no clue how to use them or even where to start, until I received my first Sunday paper. I looked through the Smart Source and the Red Plum inserts and remember thinking that this would be a neat way to save money. However, I still ended up throwing out each paper and each coupon again and again, not realizing a.) how much money I was getting rid of in newspaper, when I should recycle it, and b.) how much money I was throwing away by not couponing.

     So when I moved out of my mom's house and had to start buying groceries on my own, I started researching ways to save on my grocery bill and guess what I found out? The Sunday paper was vital to my savings or at least it gave me somewhere to start. I started learning to coupon about a year ago, but did not really dig into it like I have been this summer. I would save about $3.00 a trip depending on what was on sale and what coupons I remembered to bring. I did not plan out my list according to deals, coupons, or stores. I stayed withing a budget, and if I happened to have a coupon for what was on my grocery list, then hot diggity I saved a few cents.

    Then, I got engaged to my long term boyfriend, who is very frugal but did not and does not understand the couponing world, and the real fun began. I knew there was a way I could save more, so I started asking around and Google helped out a lot! I found some really great sites to use and some that were not so great ( I will post a list of which ones I like later) and also found out that stores actually had policies on coupons. I started to learn about Internet coupons, manufacturer coupons, store coupons, and how they all interact with each other. It became (and still is) a game. I get to solve a mystery every week, the best deal and coupons that match up with the deal.

     I am definitely still learning the ins and outs of this new world, but I am having a blast doing it. My check book is starting to have a pretty good time too.

1 comment: